The children are encouraged to take an active role in the day-to-day routines of school life. The school council provides a forum for all children to give their views via their class representative. Elections are held annually and children from Year 1 upwards (Reception will elect councillors in the Spring term) take part in the democratic process.
The council meets to discuss issues of importance to the children, both in school and in the community. They are especially keen to develop playground facilities and improve the outdoor environment.
The role of a school councillor is:
- To be a voice for all pupils.
- To raise awareness of school, community and global events and initiatives.
- To represent school in local events.
- To lead activities, fundraisers and seek donations for the wider community.
- To enquire, inform and feedback the requirements of pupil’s suggestions.
- To organise fundraisers associated with worldwide issues.